Thursday, February 16, 2012

I have a cold. Should I exercise?

With a runny nose and sore throat I was inspired to figure out whether I should attempt to train while having symptoms of a cold yet still feeling I could maintain my daily lifestyle. After a bit of a search I found the following article. I have provided quick answers for those that wish to avoid the long article:

  • Don't overdose on vitamin C! 
    • Once symptoms have surfaced chugging Emergen-C or eating oranges all day won't do the trick.  
  • Exercise and the common cold
    • Are symptoms above the neck?
      • EXERCISE! Attempt to start at a reduced level initially and increase the intensity as you see fit
    • Are symptoms below the neck?
      • REST! Chances are you are running a fever and your body can not handle the stress of training, also having to plunk every 5 minutes at the gym or on a run can get rough (no pun intended). 
What does this mean for me? Time to hit the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment